Saturday, May 10, 2014

The African American Top 20 Interior Designers: Day 2 A Designer's View

Panel Discussion at the Atlanta Design A Center

Kimberly Ward started the "African Amercan Top 20 Interior Designers" a few years ago. I first noticed her blog about 2 years ago after following her on twitter.  Once I saw it, I fell in love with it. Check it out for yourself. www.pinkeggshell.com

 On May 9th, Michel Boyd, Ron Woodson, Joy Moyler, Alicia Lamar and Lisa Turner led the discussion on the business of interior design.  They discussed social media, building your brand, client/designer relationships and project management.  

Some of the tips I learned were:
-Aim for your target market from the get go. 
-Invest in a great portfolio.
-Know your legal mumbo jumbo with commercial real estate 
-Have a good business system.
- Interior Design is 90% project management and 10% creativity 
-travel is inspiration
-Great social sites: Twitter and Houzz

A few great quotes:
Even on my worst days I would not trade this profession.   Alicia Lamar

Losers wait for perfection, winners go with what they have.     Michel Boyd

I've had to fire clients because there was no connection.   Ron Woodson

Not only did I get to hear these awsome designers speak but I also got to meet many others. 





And then there was lunch.








Later that night.....
Kimberly Ward hosted the Blogger Party at Michel Boyd's Loft. Simply Amazing!


The infamous Top 20!



(Right to Left) Chanel Gaines, Alicia Lamar, Monique Ireland (me), Lisa Turner

Just adoring the table scape.


(Left to Right) Chanel Gaines, Ron Woodson, Kimberly Ward, Howard Brown, Monique Ireland (me again)

Left to Right: Michel Boyd and Kimberly Ward

Toasting to Michel Boyd. Happy Birthday Michel!!!



Leather Floor Tiles.... Insane!!!


The night was classy and uber fabulous!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment